Hi Gnostic -- we are excited to have Encyclopedia Barsoomia Wiki as part of the Wikia community! Thanks for joining us, and we'd like to give you some tips to help you get started on making your wiki great.
Your first four steps: Edit
1. Create your User Page - this is a great place to introduce yourself (and practice wiki-editing!)2. Add a logo - learn how to create a logo image, then to add it to the wiki.
3. Create your first 10 articles - use the box on the right to create ten pages, starting each one off with a few sentences. For example if you are starting a wiki on a TV show, you might create an article for each main character.
4. Edit your Main Page - add internal links ([[like this]]) to the ten articles you just created, and any other improvements you can think of.
Once you've done these four things, you've created a great starting point -- your wiki looks friendly and ready for visitors. You can then invite some friends to help you create the next twenty pages, and expand the ones you've built.
Keep going! The more pages you create and link to each other, the sooner that others who are searching for "Encyclopedia Barsoomia Wiki" will be able find your project in search engines, read your content and join you in editing.
If you have more questions, we've provided a full set of help pages, or you can email us through our contact form. Don't forget to check out other wikis on Wikia for ideas on layout, organizing your pages, and more. Have fun!
Best wishes, Catherine Munro
For all things Barsoom? Edit
I was curious if this wiki is intended for all things related to ERB's Barsoom series, or only for the novels? For instance, would the Marvel, Dynamite, Dell and Gold Key comics be acceptable for inclusion? The upcoming film? The (awful) Asylum movie (it is the first John Carter movie, unfortunately)?
- It's for all things related to Barsoom, including comics and films. -- Gnostic 21:47, September 28, 2010 (UTC)
Can i get some greater rights over here, im a big fan of barsoom and in the event that you disapear completely I would very much like to carry that torch, even if it is only to pass it onto someone else in the future. I would adopt as this wiki seems to be eligible for that, but i am not an eligible adoptor because i have been banned on the mass effect wiki ( an unjust ban ) so give it some thought, im gonna be editing some things. Certainly is alot o information not included here. Say what is this websites policy on ontinuity, certainly unauthorized works would not be considered canon, but what about things granted authorization after the death of ERB. ralok 08:59, October 19, 2010 (UTC)
Well, could you at least Edit
Delete this page http://barsoom.wikia.com/wiki/Speedy_Deletions_by_Wikipedea and recommend the mars books to sparthawg. ralok 06:01, November 5, 2010 (UTC)
just want to tell you Edit
I am not the person sparthawg says I am, i dont lash out when i dont get my way, and I dont start flame wars. I came here because i love Edgar Rice Burroughs mars series (and all other works within that universe), and for no other reason . . . i didnt know you were active, and i am sorry I tried to adopt the wiki, i was just using the system that wikia had put in place such things. You should also note that i have not gone out of my way to insult you, or to say anything negative about you. I have been trying to put my past with the mass effect wiki behind me for some time now, and this entire situation has dug up old conflicts, and i am sorry you got involved in my grudge match with sparthawg. ralok 12:54, November 7, 2010 (UTC)
what do you think about the work i have been doing around here, do you think my page on Humans is of any quality. Took me a long time to figure out how to get the things side by side like that. Thanks for not banning me because of the unfortunate drama when i first came here, and thanks for helping with the thern article. It is dang near the best page here. Im looking for art right now for the articles from official sources. ralok 00:41, November 28, 2010 (UTC)
- I will admit that your behavior has been much better than expected, and the front page is definitely starting to look better. Your articles are still riddled with typos and grammatical errors, though. If you want to become an admin, you're going to need to get in the habit of proofreading your work.
- If you're looking for art, JohnCarterofMars.ca has several whole galleries of Barsoom-related art, including the works of J. Allen St. John and John Coleman Burroughs (I would avoid using too much of JCB's art, though, as some of it might still be copyrighted.) -- Gnostic 06:49, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
Sorry about the typo's I make articles at the speed of light because i typically rush to the computer to write something down while reading, i have gotten in the habit of using a notebook however so it shouldn't be much as much of a problem. I will certainly try to improve. ralok 07:33, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
front page Edit
did you see the front page, it took me a LOOOONG time to figure out how to do that. ralok 03:13, November 29, 2010 (UTC)
i have tried uploading a new logo, but i dont think it works
anways i went to the logo creation wiki and they made this rockin logo
i think you gotta approve the change or something im not sure. ralok 06:08, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
- A most excellent wordmark. Had to save it to my computer and then upload it, but it's up now. Next challenge: figure out how to change the little icon that appear in the address bar so that it's something more Barsoomian than the stupid little "W" that's currently there... -- Gnostic 07:01, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
I will see what the logo creation wiki has to offer :), i think i will work on the custom theme myself. I got a crazy idea in mind :D. And i think you add it by uploading the image to favicon.ico ralok 07:10, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
the cetegory pages Edit
they kinda suck now, but i think there is a way to disable the huge meaningless blocks that have been imposed upon us for no reason by wikia (seriously its just stupid) if it is you would have to be the one to disable it since you are the administrator, i hope its possible. ralok 07:57, December 5, 2010 (UTC)
Need a feature removed Edit
there is a new feature on wikia that has messed things up, its optional though contact throught this page http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contact and tell them that you wish the related pages and category galleries removed, they dont work here because there is not a great many pictures related to the series. I swear wikia is trying to ruin their websites, to many broken features, it is restricting the flow of information. ralok 22:45, December 10, 2010 (UTC)
- I've sent them a message asking for help in removing the feature. Hopefully they'll respond soon. -- Gnostic 02:55, December 11, 2010 (UTC)
given it some thought Edit
At the top of the thing it says encyclopedia barsoomia wiki. It should say john carter of mars wiki, when the movie comes out my fear is that a new wiki will be created and this one overlooked. They created a gullivers travels wiki and i am sure that mmy fears are unfounded but i want to try to get this wiki at the top of the list when the wordss 'John carter of mars wiki' are typed in. ralok 04:04, December 24, 2010 (UTC)
- Bah. If someone else wants the hassle of running a more "popular" Barsoom wiki, they're more than welcome to it. They'll just attract the haters and fair-weather fans, and save us a hell of a lot of trouble. -- Gnostic 03:17, December 30, 2010 (UTC)
I run http://www.savagebarsoom.com/ and wanted to see you wouldn't mind me using some information from your site here? I added your page to my links page and contributors page, I'll remove the contributors page, you are not keen on me using your information.
If you want to take this to email, use this form and we won't have to post email addresses here :)
- You are certainly welcome to use information from this wiki for your site, as long as you give us credit where appropriate. -- Gnostic 05:27, January 1, 2011 (UTC)
- Um, not sure how to reply to your response, so I'll just have to edit this one.
- For sure I'll give you folks credit!
- Thanks :)
so . . . you like the new theme Edit
you can thank sannse (yes THAT sannse) it looks really nice and i feel it fits the theme of the wiki rather nicely (considering hte usage of actual planets in articles) hey by the way. . . if it is ok i would like to start implementing content from the moon maid series, it definitely takes place in the same continuity, and contains direct references to john carter (the character) and uses the word barsoom way to often. ralok 22:08, January 2, 2011 (UTC)
HAHA IT WORKED. IT WORKED, HORAY YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Custom theme, working logo, two hundred works in progress articles, we are well on our way to being a featured wiki .YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH ralok 09:43, January 7, 2011 (UTC)
Can I be an admin now Edit
I Have greatly enriched the content of this wiki, i have started standardizing pages so that they all have similiar design. I have Delved into the greater Burroughs universe (costing myself hundreds of dollars in books that i could have downloaded for free on the internet) to enrich the content. All while maintaining a sunny disposition that other people would have you believe I don't have. And I have gotten the wiki a theme, a favicon, and a logo. . . :D so can i be an admin of some sort ralok 15:33, January 16, 2011 (UTC)
- I hope the real admin doesn't mind me offering my opinion, but if I had a choice in the matter, I definitely would recommend AGAINST you becoming admin. Dude, you have proven numerous times on other wikis in the past that you're too immature for adminship. Also, quality over quantity. You may have added numerous edits to this wiki, but they're all poorly written! The way you write is atrocious and your grammar is awful. Maybe you should work on learning how to write properly before jumping into the admin chair. And a final thing, the fact that you keep on asking for admin powers really does not reflect well on you. If anything, it makes people think you're simply power-hungry. You don't need admin abilities to improve this wiki, you can easily do without them. If you prove yourself worthy, then you will be OFFERED admin powers. 184.108.40.206 17:02, January 16, 2011 (UTC)
Is that you sparthawg, and if it is are you stalking me? What are you talking about, on what other wikis have a proven to immature to be an admin? People do change over time you know, just because I got into conflicts with a specific user on the mass effect wiki does not mean I am a permanent state of immaturity. I think you will find that on most wikis that I frequent I am well liked and a good editor, I was a good editor on the mass effect wiki as well I made good edits and proposed one of the page formats that is now frequently used (the entertainment page, that format spread and now has background race page)and i called attention to flaws the wiki had. And you act as though my writing quality somehow reflects on me as a human being, I assure you that my inability to spell does not make me less of a human being than you. They are not the most well written articles but at least they are written, somehow this universe created by ERB has not had the courtesy of an encyclopedic reference. I am devoted to this project not power hungry, Edgar Rice Burroughs is my idol and I want to fully represent the universe he created and to actively promote the wiki.
But i really want to know who you are, and why you went out of your way to shoot down my request. ralok 18:14, January 16, 2011 (UTC)
Alright Gnostic. Ralok simply asks for sysop powers so why don't you give him a chance if it doesn't work out you can always demote him. I for one think he will make a great admin because well he has a lot more edits than even you has created alot for the wiki and wants to do more for it. And some things he wants to do for it require the powers of an administrator.Template:Sniperteam82308 19:18, January 16, 2011 (UTC)
- Thanks for the support bud, i will admit though that alot of my edits are hollow because i had to go back and change things because i was stupid in some capacity. Or mispelled a word that is impossible to mispell. ralok 19:42, January 16, 2011 (UTC)
- I respect the admin's decision to promote Ralok, but I will admit I find it pretty funny that Snipterteam82308, a supporter of Ralok's adminship, isn't even an active editor at this wiki whatsoever. After looking through his Userpage, it is clear Sniperteam is just one Ralok's buddies who joined this wiki to simply defend Ralok whenever he comes under fire. Of course I have no part in this wiki, but Ralok has alot of things going against him and I felt the need to voice my opinion on this matter. My opposition against Ralok was based on the negative history he has, whereas Sniperteam's support seems to be based on a friendship he has with Ralok. By the way, I am not Sparthawg and I don't even know him personally. I do frequent the Mass Effect Wiki however and during my visits there, I saw some of your postings and I must say you made yourself look like a fool. 220.127.116.11 05:04, January 17, 2011 (UTC)
Question 1: ahe you seen how i behave on other wikis, question 2: can you please link these things that make me sound like a fool on my talk page, question 3: when did these things happen. . . .question 4: why dont oyu have a user name Question 5: why are you stalking me, you havent made any contributions and seem to only exsist here t say begative things about me. Answer these questions or dont wikia contributer. ralok 15:11, January 17, 2011 (UTC)
Rest assured, "96", I considered Ralok's past history while I was deciding whether to grant him more priveleges, but he has done a considerable amount for this wiki. Besides that, I am currently facing an increasing workload at my regular job, and thus need to assign someone the ability to keep this place running in my absence. Ralok is the only regular contributer here (certainly don't see you volunteering for the job... or doing anything else to help out, for that matter), so I'm giving him admin powers. -- Gnostic 15:34, January 17, 2011 (UTC)
- Having been made aware of this through sheer happenstance (Downloaded the first few books for my Kindle, so I may be frequenting this wiki from time to time), I feel I should clear something up. No, ralok, the anonymous user who spoke against you was not me, nor is the user (to the best of my knowledge) affiliated with me, nor did I have foreknowledge of any of this. While I am certainly flattered that you automatically assume that any negative comments about you must be part of a nefarious plot on my part, I cannot in all honesty claim involvement. A simple IP check will show that the anonymous user appears to be operating out of Virginia. I, on the other hand, have made no attempt to hide the fact that I reside on the other side of the country, in California. If my word is not sufficient, I can log out and leave a message on your user page, allowing you to confirm that my IP and this IP are different. And trust me ralok, if I wanted to say negative things about you, I wouldn't hide my identity. The fact that you even asked the anonymous user if it was me shows how little you really know me.
- The only reason I spoke out against you in regards to this wiki previously was because Gnostic, in his role as Bureaucrat, asked my opinion, and I answered honestly and to the best of my ability. I will admit though, that I completely agree with the anonymous user's comments, but at the same time, my opinion doesn't matter here, does it. It is Gnostic's decision, he has made it, and people like myself can either respect it or go somewhere else. I'm going to opt for the former, assuming that I find the works of Mr. Rice Burroughs enjoyable enough to continue visiting the wiki. So, in closing, to Gnostic, the Bureaucrat/Founder, and ralok, the admin, I wish you nothing but success with the wiki. Regards, SpartHawg948 09:07, January 18, 2011 (UTC)
Changes incoming Edit
Dont be alarmed at the changes, the wiki is going to be unergoing a facelift to be compatible with the entirity of the edgar rice burroughs universe. Aswell I am rereading the books with the greatest emphasis on Barsoom (MARS), and I will be trying to get my hands on the majority of the comic books, I want to have the barsoom content mostly complete before mass implementation of the Tarzan content, which could potentially overshadow the barsoom content. The tarzan content will be the last to come, in teh order of mass implementation Mars, Moon, Venus, and pellucidar before tarzan. Aswell the connecting novels of the mad king and the eternal lover will be implemented before tarzan. although some tarzan content has been put in already, its only there because i happened to be reading tarzan at the time. Also to try and keep the emphasis away from tarzan I will be combining all things of ERB's earth into one of the content portals. Changes are coming, But I believe they are good changes . . . I hope you like the new front pages :) (im thinking about switching mars and venus' possition on the sphere though) ralok 07:37, February 21, 2011 (UTC)
Hey buddy, HEADS UP Edit
Hey, while alot of people thought that JCOM would be getting a trailer in the pirates movies . . . It didnt happen, but there has been alot of chatter, lynn collins, taylor kitsch, and the guy playing ERB are all saying we will be seeing it soon. There is a good chance we will get one tomorrow with X-men first class, since marvel is owned by disney . . . . So just a heads up :D ralok 18:28, June 2, 2011 (UTC)
too much news X _ X Edit
its freaking me out . . . .I almost missed the fact that fall river is reprinting the first three JCOM books . . . . its driving me crazy . . . I wish that the trailer for the film would just happen already . . . I am hearing comic-con and captain america . . . over a month away . . . ugh ralok 16:04, June 5, 2011 (UTC)
I recently just had soem major problems sorting out redirects . . . I am trying to get everything sorted out . . . there are alot of problems right now . . . and I am still trying to figure out how to use the portal system I am trying to implement . . . sigh . . . I am sorry that I am messing everything up . . . I will get this all working . . . I promise ralok 21:16, June 5, 2011 (UTC)
HEY WHATS UP Edit
Hey buddy . . . how you liking the new and IMPROVED front page!!!!!!!! All thats left for me to add is the countdown timer to john carters release date ralok 21:33, June 15, 2011 (UTC)
I need help Edit
like . . . right now bro . . . if you are still around . . . then we gotta get cranking! to get a spotlight we need to give a booster shot to any page under 300 bytes. WE gotta get teh community portal up and running, and we gotta get the portals nice and prettied up ralok 15:55, June 25, 2011 (UTC)
non-canon material Edit
Do you think I have handled the integration of non-canon material well? Is there anything I could have done better? ralok 15:00, July 18, 2011 (UTC)
- I think the non-canon articles look fine, but the non-canon template at the top is always too close to the body of the article. Is there anything we can do about that? -- Gnostic 15:04, July 18, 2011 (UTC)
I am not sure what can be done about that, I also feel that the color of the template is to similiar to t he link color . . . I will try adn figure out how too resolve these two issues when I have time ralok 15:35, July 18, 2011 (UTC)
Boss I need your help Edit
we have been wronged by wikia and I need your support . . . read my blog and my comments here http://johncarter.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ralok/Give_it_back I think you ahve been wronged more than me because you CREATED this wiki and they didnt even ask you ralok 04:34, October 9, 2011 (UTC)
problem solved Edit
the problem has been solved, they let me be an administrator on the wiki. I plan on setting it up so it is intertwined with this wiki. ralok
thank you Edit
thanks for the promotion :D ralok 13:10, November 23, 2011 (UTC)
woah woah woah Edit
dude, I am sorry but you cant do that . . . I have made a painful effort to keep non-canon and canon material in separate category trees so that it will not cause confusion amongst readers. This is very important I think because a lot of these non-canon works . . . suuuuuuuuuuuck, and I dont want people mistaking things that suck for Edgar Rice Burroughs series of masterpieces ralok (talk) 19:04, August 15, 2012 (UTC)
- and yes, I am aware that a lot of the pages are messy and incomplete . . . that isbecause honestly . . . when I create a lot of the pages, it is during my first reading of something, and I am far too busy enjoying it :I ralok (talk) 19:11, August 15, 2012 (UTC)
I didnt mean to imply any sort of lack of respect for non canonical works (I own most of them after all, even "the alternate martians"). But the fact remains that Burroughs didnt create the characters in the non-canon section, that is what defines them as non-canon. It has nothing to do with quality or accuracy . . . simply a statement of origin and status in conjunction with other works.
I have never excluded content from this wiki for being non-canon though (although the content must be from a work that has been physically published), and in my own way I like to think of certain things as being canon . . . I do not give special treatment to those thing however, no matter how much I like the true-born or the air beasts . . . and their inclusion in my fan fiction, they are of apocrypha.
I own most non-canonical barsoom works though, I highly recommend Fall of Barsoom and other dynamite stories, as well as short story compilations such as "New Adventures on Barsoom" and "New Tales of the Red Planet". ralok (talk) 21:57, August 15, 2012 (UTC)
also, I streamlined the banner a bit . . . I hope it is better now . . . I had originally intended it to look like the fallout wikis non-canon indicator but I couldnt get it to work :/ ralok (talk) 22:05, August 15, 2012 (UTC)
this conversation has caused me to realize that having a separate page for non-canon reds was silly so I incorporated the info onto the main red martian page in much the same manner as I do with non-canon info on locations . . . the greens are going to be slightly more difficult though, as nobody can agree on anything concerning them :I . ralok (talk) 22:16, August 15, 2012 (UTC)
not that I know of Edit
I have been blocking them left and right, seems to be robots that are doing it . . . probably targets wikis with recent stuff . . . I am blocking them, and deleting their spam as fast as they can put it up . . . it is exhausting though. ralok (talk) 02:53, September 15, 2012 (UTC)
Onto Book 11 of the series now. Looking like this is the main place for all things Barsoom so if it's alright with you folks I'll be cruising around making updates/changes/reviews to articles and pages? Not too thrilled with the lack of details on the smaller characters and villains and missing links so hopefully I'll be able to sort some of those things out.
Crucible Era Edit
I gave permission for people other than myself to edit at some point, I am going to loko over the edits and see if there is anything I like and I will decide what to keep or discard... dont punish too harshley, if the edits are bad and the user doesnt let up though you may need to block. ralok (talk) 20:42, September 13, 2013 (UTC)